[Sonar] A proposal for the short course regatta concept

Ernest Brody epbrody at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 3 12:49:27 CST 2012

On Saturday at Charlie and Meghan's (thank you very much for hosting) Bert
introduced the idea of short course racing in the Bay for a fleet 2 or 3
Sundays during the season.  These would be individually scored with their
own trophies and not part of the Sunday Champ series.

I propose that the Sonar fleet use this for crew trade-around.  We did this
on Thursdays many years ago and it brought a lot of people's skill level up
a notch or two.

The idea would be

.        One person who knows the boat, skipper or regular crew, is on each
boat

.        The other people for that day are a mixture from other boats

.        The results from the races count for the boat regardless of who did
what on the boat

Benefits are

.        People will trade knowledge and skills so newer sailors learn from
more experienced sailors

.        Skill levels all around will increase

.        A boat which is often in the back of the fleet might win the day
with more experienced sailors on board

.        Fleet members will become better acquainted with each other

What do you think?  We will need someone to herd the cats.

Ernest