The Weathermark at wyc.org - September 13, 2005

dallas johnson dallas at dallasjohnson.net
Tue Sep 13 22:29:24 CDT 2005

The Weathermark at wyc.org  -  September 13, 2005

THIS ISSUE
- New Orleans Relief Opportunity
- Talk Like A Pirate Day
- Banquet Planning Party
- Fall H.S. Racing
-----------------------------

NEW ORLEANS RELIEF OPPORTUNITY
This Thursday night, and Saturday and Sunday during the J22 districts we will be collecting items for New Orleans refugees and relief workers. The J22 fleet has a long tradition with New Orleans, and Angela Johnson is organizing this relief effort. She has contacts in the area who are working directly with local officials to insure the items are properly distributed. Three truck loads of goods have already been distributed by this group and we'd like to add some more.

When: Thursday Night Races, and Saturday and Sunday during the J22 Districts.
Where: Clubhouse. Leave items under the TV in the NE corner of the building.
What: Socks, Shoes, especially sizes 10, 11 and 12 for men and women, Over-the-Counter medications, especially for diarrhea, because dysentery is starting to set in on the population there.  Advil, Tylenol, Aspirin, Allergy and Flu relief medications. Sanitary items for women, Band-Aids and bandages, Neosporin, Cortizone Cream, Antibacterial Wipes, Non-perishable food items (things that are light include tuna in bags, peanut butter tubes), Towels & Washcloths, Razors, Febreeze, Q-Tips, Sheets (Twin Size) & Pillows, Vicks Vapor Rub (VERY IMPORTANT), Long Rubber Gloves to deal with contaminated items, Sunglasses & Sunscreen, FLIP FLOPS in BIG SIZES (VERY IMPORTANT)

More details at http://lists.wyc.org/pipermail/j22/2005-September/000206.html
or  http://lists.wyc.org/pipermail/j22/2005-September/000203.html

BANQUET PLANNING
The WYC Banquet doesn't happen by magic. Lots of people get together, do some planning, have some parties, a little of this, a little of that, and THEN it's all magically done. Want to learn more about the Banquet Arts of food, decoration, awards, presentations, silent auctions, and music. Show up Monday September 26th at 7:00pm at WYC for an initial planning meeting. Contact Merry Beth Hovey with questions or just show up.

TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY
Ayyy Matey!! Be a real sailor tis September 19 when tis International Talk Like A Pirate Day. All hands worthy of their grog must talk like PIRATES from sunrise to late into the night. Those who refuse to speak in the language of the seven seas will be forced to walk the plank!
Don't believe me, try... http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

HS RACING
I mentioned it last time, and I'll mention it again. Fall High School sailing is about to begin. What HS kid wouldn't want to be involved in sailing. They don't need equipment or skills, just a desire to enjoy wind, water and friends. All they need to do is contact the sailing school to learn about being involved with their school sailing team. and learn about high school sailing programs. Even if the Wayzata Sailing School doesn't coach their team, we'll make sure they get sent to the right location.

The Wayzata Sailing School is shifting into the Fall HS racing season. HS classes are available to ANY HS kids regardless of ability, even if there is not an established team at their school. No equipment is required. If you know of some HS kid who would enjoy the excitement and challenge of sailing, contact the sailing school to learn more. Turn them on to... http://www.wayzatasailing.org/r-high-school.htm

In other sailing school news, the University of Minnesota Sailing Team lived up to their number one ranking in the Midwest by winning the opening college regatta in Madison this past weekend.  Coach Brent Ostbye who traveled with the team called it: "a decisive win due to our consistency and depth."  The Gophers play hot next weekend at Wayzata, Midwest teams will travel to our home to compete in the Carin Streuffert Memorial Team Race. http://www.uofmsailing.com/

See you at the Relief Drive!